Congregation Beth Elohim, Brooklyn, NY
Congregation Beth Elohim is a thriving and rapidly-growing congregation occupying two large historic buildings (Synagogue 1906 and Temple House 1929) in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The Board had implemented the first phases of a strategic plan, which involved repairs to temple roofs, windows and exterior masonry, then turned their attention to the interior of the 5-story heavily-used Temple House (which contains classrooms, a ballroom, chapel, gyms and pool). They hired Leo J. Blackman (now BLuHR) Architects to strategize the phasing of much needed renovations to these ornate but tired spaces, including accessibility and systems upgrades, plus the possibility of adding a new elevator, rooftop event space and excavated storage. We met with groups of staff/users, developed plans and established costs and construction sequence.